Kekoa's growth ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sea Glass Treasures and Antique Opium Bottle



 Opium Bottle Circa 19th Century
When I started collecting sea glass about 2 years ago there were hardly any others collecting. In the 2 years since I started, the number of sea glass collectors has grown at an alarming rate. I know because I used to go every single day I loved it so much and just being at the beach is so healing for me because the mysteries of my life become small when I look out at the vast ocean and start to wonder about it’s mysteries. So, when I find an unusual, not to be found everyday, item like this, needless to say I’m elated and bouncing off clouds!
I’ve had this now for about a year. I remember posting about it on a couple groups I belong to. I remember one member replied that it was an ampule. Well, that’s correct but more specifically it’s an opium bottle. How I found out? I set up a booth at the Makawao Upcountry Fair and I always have a display of a few of my “treasures” that are not for sale. At the fair 6 people came to my booth and told me it was an opium bottle and one lady even made a suggested I make a sea glass pendant from it, after all I did make and sell sea glass jewelry. But no, I don’t make sea glass jewelry from my treasures, they stay just the way they are :D
As soon as I got home though, dead tired as I was but so excited to see if it really was an opium bottle, I started to do some research on the internet and here are some sites I found:
Odyssey Marine Exploration ~ there’s a really good pic of the bottle        
The Museum of Drugs ~ Some history and also a good pic
Ed Welch Antiques, LLC ~ Some history and another good pic although this one looks like the bottle is clear
Reenactor Flea Market ~ If it’s still there when you click, click on the photo, it’ll take you to a larger photo. The bottle on the right most resembles the sea glass opium bottle that I found.
Here are some other pics of the sea glass opium bottle I found, different views ~
 This is the top of the bottle. I left the pebbles that was in it when I found it.
This is the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment